FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Haidee Pan
Director of Marketing & Communications
CAUSE Hosts Graduation for Leadership Academy Class of 2017
Pasadena, CA – August 18, 2017 – Center for Asian Americans United for Self Empowerment (CAUSE) will host the 2017 Leadership Academy Graduation on Friday, August 18, 2017 at the KPCC The Crawford Family Forum (474 S. Raymond Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91105), from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
The CAUSE Leadership Academy Graduation celebrates the 2017 Leadership Academy class’ completion of a rigorous nine-week internship program. Join elected officials, community leaders, local press, and families to congratulate the leaders of tomorrow!
The graduation will feature keynote speaker, Congressmember Judy Chu of the 27th Congressional District of California and Master of Ceremonies Jack Song, Marketing & Communications Lead at LimeBike and an alumni of the CAUSE Leadership Academy (Class of 2001).
Since its inception in 1991, the CAUSE Leadership Academy develops a pipeline of leadership for the Asian Pacific American (APA) community. The program prepares its participants to be leaders at the forefront of the democratic process through learning the importance of civic engagement and political participation. Graduates of this program have gone on to run for political office and have become leaders in politics, business, and nonprofits.
The CAUSE Leadership Academy offers opportunities for students to gain firsthand experience in politics through constituent services, community organizing, community relations, and legislative research. Interns are required to participate in civic leadership workshops, work full time in a political office, attend an APA internship conference in Sacramento, and complete a group voter engagement project.
The Class of 2017 Leadership Academy Cohort includes:
- Anna Katrina Alvarado, California State University, Los Angeles | Intern at the Office of California State Assemblymember Chris Holden
- Sylvia Guan, University of Pennsylvania | Intern at the Office of California State Senator Josh Newman
- Sabrina Inoue, University of Michigan | Intern at the Office of California State Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi
- Jeffery Jen, Pomona College | Intern at the Office of US Congressmember Judy Chu
- Nayada “Mint” Katavetin, University of California, Berkeley | Intern at the Office of Los Angeles City Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Diana Lam, Wellesley College | Intern at the Office of California State Assemblymember Ed Chau
- Hanah Lee, Yale University | Intern at the Office of California State Senator Ed Hernandez
- Dim Mang, University of Michigan | Intern at the Office of California State Controller Betty Yee
- Erika Ngo, Whittier College | Intern at the Office of California State Treasurer John Chiang
- Sonia Romero, University of Southern California | Intern at the Office of US Congressmember Adam Schiff
- Stephanie Sun, University of California, Berkeley | Intern at the Office of US Congressmember Mimi Walters
- Eric Thai, University of California, Davis | Intern at the Office of California State Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon
- Allison Vo, University of California, San Diego | Intern at the Office of US Congressmember Lou Correa
- Helen Yu, Duke University | Intern at the Office of California State Senator Ben Allen
- Olivia Zheng, Amherst College | Intern at the Office of Los Angeles City Councilmember David Ryu
This program is open to the public. Elected officials, community leaders, press members, family, and friends are welcome to join. Admission is free and lunch will be provided. Please RSVP by Wednesday, August 16 at CLAGraduation.eventbrite.com.
Street parking and parking at local lots are available at varying rates. Public transit is encouraged.
Center for Asian Americans United for Self Empowerment (CAUSE) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonpartisan, community-based organization with a mission to advance the political empowerment of the Asian Pacific American community through nonpartisan voter outreach, training, and education as well as leadership development.
For any further inquiries, please contact CAUSE via phone at (626) 356-9838 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. General information can be obtained from our website at www.causeusa.org. Our office is located at 260 S. Los Robles Avenue, #115, Pasadena, CA 91101